Financing Study Abroad
Financing Education Abroad
Money is an important part of any Study Abroad decisions!
Check with Financial Aid!
Wondering what aid sources you may have to help with your study abroad program? Fill out the study abroad pre-acceptance form and submit to Mr. Kelly Young in EKU’s Financial Aid Office.
This will give you an idea of what funds you currently have available based on this year’s FASFA. However, remember that once you are accepted to a Study Abroad program and submit an updated “Cost Sheet,” your budget and aid eligibility may change. Your financial aid budget for the semester may need to be adjusted, allowing you to obtain the higher amount needed for the study abroad experience.
Full Semester Study Abroad students must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) as early as possible each year. The earliest it can be submitted is January 1st. The Study Abroad FASFA priority deadline is February 1st – students completing the FASFA by Feb. 1st may qualify to receive more grant money. The FASFA must be completed no later than April 31st for students planning to study abroad in the Fall semester. While the FASFA is not required for Scholarship eligibility, it could aid in identifying other sources of financial support for Study Abroad students.
Fundraising will help to make your trip more affordable and serves as a way to educate the public.
- Birthday coming up? Request financial gifts or loans instead.
- Write a creative letter to all your relatives, asking for financial support in exchange for monthly letters or photos while abroad
- Ask friends to join you in raising money by painting, cleaning or washing cars.
- Ask your church, synagogue or temple to sponsor a special offering, dinner, or raffle and give the proceeds for study abroad.
- Sell coffee and baked goods with a sign stating your purpose.
- Ask family members to donate frequent flyer miles.
- Save all your spare change in a jar – small amounts can really add up!
Once accepted to a Study Abroad program, there are several study abroad scholarships for which you can apply! Several scholarships you already receive may also be applicable to Study Abroad.
- Millennium/Becknell Scholarship: $500-$1,000 (Applications are Available through the study abroad office once you have been accepted into a study abroad program.)
- Kentucky Institute for International Studies: $500.00-$750
- Kennamer Scholarships: For students majoring in programs in Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Patterson Scholarships: For students majoring in Business fields - $1,500+
- Phi Kappa Phi: various amounts
- Bonnie Plummer Scholarship: Various amounts for those students majoring in English.
- Sigma Tau Delta Scholarship: $3,000 Study abroad scholarship for English majors
- Visit GO! Overseas for various scholarships to study abroad for up to $1,000
- Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarships: $1,000+
Bluegrass State Intelligence Scholarship For student enrolled in the Intelligence Certificate Program
Students are also encouraged to speak with their departments for additional scholarships.